Friday it wasn’t raining and the sun was shining. It seemed like a perfect day to test boomerang at lunch. I decided to stick with my plywood ones and not the long distance ones. When I got to the field the wind appeared to be more than I anticpated. I decided to throw anyway. I have a few boomerangs with me that could act as control subjects. The wind gradually picked up as I threw and was gusting around 20mph at times. I still managed to get all the boomerangs tested, many passing, and some put aside for further shaping.
Saturday the world returned to normal and it rained, rained and rained some more.
Sunday was nicer but cold and windy. I mean really windy, around 30mph. I went in the shop and finish sanded all the boomerang which passed testing. I then did some reshaping on the ones that failed.I would have tested them but was pretty sure even kylies would return in that wind.
Next I think I got a little foolish. I set up a piece of plywood on sawhorses, using my shed as a windbreak. I then proceeded to primer a few of the recently finished boomerangs. Actually I managed to get color on some and some silver spray webbing on them. I guess I have seven boomerangs now that require clear finish and seven which need to be painted. I left a few natural as to do different decoration like the patriotic Sycamore copy posted above. I do have a word of caution to my fellow boomerang makers. When it is that windy, don’t paint outside. You will breathe the paint and wear it. I am still trying to get all the tiney specks of paint off my glasses.